Allergies in Children
In the UK, 40% of children have been diagnosed with an allergy1
In fact, allergic rhinitis is the most common chronic disease in childhood.2
- Children who suffer from allergic rhinitis have been shown to have more infections and associated problems3
- Allergic rhinitis sufferers have approximately twice the number of prescriptions and GP visits compared to those without4 according to data collected in the USA.
The impacts of allergies for children can be wide reaching
Allergies in children can be a cause of distress for both parents and children.
Allergy can impact wellbeing in many ways:1
- Anxiety around a potential allergic reaction
- Visible symptoms such as eczema and hives causing low self-esteem
- Isolation around social events e.g. birthday parties or restaurants
- Negative relationships with food e.g. aversion and refusal
- Sleep deprivation due to symptoms affecting mood and concentration
- Fear of using adrenaline auto-injectors
Children and food allergies
Incidence of food allergy in children tends to be greater in young children (almost 1 in 12) than adults (1-2%)5
Risk factors for developing food allergy can be increased if allergy runs in the family and where one type of allergy already exists e.g. asthma.6
- Flushed face, hives, a red and itchy rash around the mouth, tongue, or eyes – this can spread across the entire body
- Swelling, particularly of the lips, eyes, and face
- A running or blocked nose, sneezing and watery eyes
- Nausea and vomiting, tummy cramps and diarrhoea
- A scratchy or itchy mouth and throat
Requires urgent medical attention.
- Wheezing or chest tightness, similar to an asthma attack
- Swelling of throat and tongue, restricting airways
- A sudden drop in blood pressure, leading to shock
- Dizziness, confusion, collapse and loss of consciousness and sometimes coma
- Pale and floppy (for babies and children)
Piriton Children’s Allergy Syrup and Piriton Allergy Tablets (chlorphenamine maleate)
Find out more about Piriton Syrup suitable from 12 months and Piriton Tablets suitable from 6 years.
Piriteze Hayfever & Allergy 10mg Film Coated Tablets, and Piriteze Children's Hayfever & Allergy 1mg/ml Syrup (P) (cetirizine hydrochloride).
Both Piriteze formats are suitable from 6 years of age. P line syrup is suitable for 2 +.