Otrivin Menthol Nasal Metered-Dose Spray
OTRIVIN MENTHOL Nasal Metered-Dose Spray provides effective relief of long-lasting relief from nasal congestion naso-pharyngeal mucosa in colds, sinusitis, rhinitis, hay-fever, otitis media and to facilitate rhinoscopy,1-5 with menthol adding a further sensation of improved airflow and freshness.
OTRIVIN MENTHOL Nasal Metered-Dose Spray contains the active ingredient xylometazoline 0.1% plus menthol (preservative-free):
- It eases nasal congestion in minutes by constricting dilated blood vessels in the nasal mucosa
- It reduces symptoms of hypersecretions and facilitates sinus drainage
- Menthol in the formulation provides a cooling effect and a sensation of breathing easier1-5
Otrivin Menthol Nasal Metered-Dose Spray
For patients who are looking for rapid and effective relief of nasal congestion in colds, sinusitis, rhinitis, hay-fever, 1-5
- 1 ml contains 1 mg of xylometazoline hydrochloride. Preservative: 0,01 % m/v benzalkonium chloride.
- disodium edetate, disodium phosphate dodecahydrate, eucalyptol (Cineole), menthol (Levomenthol), polyoxyl 40 hydrogenated castor oil (Cremophor RH 40), purified water, sodium chloride, sodium dihydrogen phosphate dihydrate, sorbitol 70 % (non-crystallising)
- Otrivin Menthol Metered-dose spray is for nasal administration only, in adults and children over 12 years of age: 1 application of the metered-dose spray into each nostril; a total of 3 applications a day is usually sufficient.
- Otrivin Menthol should be used after blowing the nose.
How to use:1,5
- Remove the protective cap.
- Before the first application prime the pump by actuating 4 times.
- Once primed, the pump will normally remain charged throughout regular daily treatment periods.
- If the spray is not ejected during the full actuation stroke, or if the product has not been used for longer than 7 days, the pump will need to be reprimed with 4 actuations.
- Be very careful not to spray in the eyes or mouth.
- Insert the nozzle into the nostril and press once firmly on the spray head and breathe in at the same time. Then withdraw the nozzle before releasing pressure.
- Repeat the operation in the other nostril.
- Replace the protective cap.
- The dosing spray ensures the OTRIVIN MENTHOL solution is well distributed over the surface of the nasal mucosa.
- The standardized valve with which it is fitted permits accuracy of dosage and precludes the possibility of unintentional overdosage.
- Otrivin Menthol should be used with caution in patients showing a strong reaction to sympathomimetic agents, as evidenced by signs of insomnia, dizziness, tremor, cardiac dysrhythmias, or elevated blood pressure.
- Otrivin Menthol should be used with caution in patients with hypertension, cardiovascular disease, hyperthyroidism, diabetes mellitus, epistaxis, phaechromocytoma, prostatic hypertrophy, monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) treatment or who have received them in the last two weeks (see INTERACTIONS).
- Do not exceed the recommended dose, especially in children and in the elderly.
- OTRIVIN MENTHOL should not be employed continuously for periods exceeding ten days: prolonged or excessive use may cause rebound congestion and/or atrophy of the nasal mucosa.
The concomitant use of OTRIVIN MENTHOL with monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors or tricyclic or tetracyclic antidepressants may cause an increase in blood pressure due to cardiovascular effects of these substances (see WARNINGS AND SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS).
The use of OTRIVIN MENTHOL during pregnancy is not advisable due to its potential systemic absorption. OTRIVIN MENTHOL should be used with caution during lactation and only under medical advice.
- OTRIVIN MENTHOL is contraindicated in cases of hypersensitivity to xylometazoline or to any of the ingredients of OTRIVIN MENTHOL. OTRIVIN MENTHOL is contraindicated in the following conditions:
- patients with or predisposed to narrow angle glaucoma,
- diabetes mellitus,
- ischaemic heart disease, other heart disease including angina or hypertension,
- rhinitis sicca or atrophic rhinitis,
- patients being treated with monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors or 14 days after stopping treatment.
- OTRIVIN MENTHOL should not be employed in status post transsphenoidal hypophysectomy (or after transnasal or transoral surgical interventions in which the dura mater has been exposed).