Voltaren 12-Hour 2.32% Emulgel
Voltaren 12-hour 2.32% Emulgel − eases joint pain and inflammation all day long when applied twice daily1
Provides up to 12 hours of relief from joint pain through an anti-inflammatory action.1
Contains diclofenac, a potent non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) with effective analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antipyretic properties.2
Diclofenac gets deep into the joint area3
After topical administration, diclofenac is distributed to the subcutaneous tissues, muscle, synovial tissues and synovial fluid, the latter tissues typically being most likely to be driving joint pain.3 Its chemical properties support retention within the joint where it is needed, rather than the blood stream.3,4
Voltaren 12-hour is specially formulated to help the anti-inflammatory ingredient get through the skin.5,6 It contains a permeation enhancer for increased delivery of diclofenac through the skin.6*
The deep penetration of Voltaren 12-hour makes it suitable for the treatment of joint pain related to trauma of the tendons, ligaments, muscles and other joint tissues as well as localised soft-tissue rheumatism.5
*Voltaren 12-hour (2.32%) Emulgel compared with Voltaren (1.16%) Emulgel (in vitro study) when measured over 24 hours.
Provides up to 12 hours of relief from joint pain1
Voltaren 12-hour has proven clinical efficacy: in a study of acute ankle sprain, patients experienced a 65% reduction in pain from baseline after 4 days, with additional benefits in terms of reductions in swelling vs placebo.1
Voltaren 12-hour provides all-day joint-pain relief, meaning convenient twice-daily application is all that is needed.1,5
The lowest number-needed-to-treat (NNT) for Voltaren Emulgel* vs other topical NSAIDs in acute musculoskeletal pain7,8
A Cochrane Review of 61 studies of topical NSAIDs compared with placebo (>8000 patients) reported that Voltaren Emulgel has the lowest NNT (1.8) of topical NSAIDs in acute musculoskeletal pain, including topical ibuprofen (3.9).7.8*†
This means that for every single patient you treat with Voltaren Emulgel over other topical NSAIDs, you have a better chance of giving them the significant pain relief that helps get them back on their feet and enjoying life again.7
*1.16% and 2.32% Voltaren Emulgel formulations included in the review.†vs topical ibuprofen, ketoprofen, benzydamine, piroxicam and indomethacin.
Low systemic absorption, for a lower risk of systemic side effects3,5,9
Voltaren 12-hour has a low systemic exposure3,5,10 meaning a reduced risk of systemic side effects and drug–drug interactions.3,5
That includes a reduced systemic side-effect risk vs oral NSAIDs (e.g. gastrointestinal events).11.12*
*There is an increased risk of mild dermatological side effects (e.g. skin irritation) with topical diclofenac, but this is non-serious and reversible.
What can Voltaren 12-hour do for Nora?
Nora wakes up with joint pain and stiffness each morning and has difficulty climbing stairs but does not want this to control her life or her choices.
She already receives multiple oral medications and is concerned that adding more will increase her risk of side effects.
Nora tries to stay active by gardening and going for walks, but this can sometimes be a struggle.
She wants sustained relief from her pain so that she can do the things she enjoys.
Voltaren 12-hour provides clinically proven joint pain relief7 in a convenient, twice-daily application, without the worry of adding more oral medications.
For patients who are looking for long-lasting relief from joint pain and inflammation, using a topical formulation.
The active substance is diclofenac diethylamine Each gram of gel contains 23, 2 mg of diclofenac diethylamine.
The other ingredients (excipients) are butylhydroxytoluene, carbomer, cocoyl caprylocaprate, diethylamine, isopropyl alcohol, liquid paraffin, macrogol cetostearyl ether, oleyl alcohol, propylene glycol, perfume eucalyptus and purified water.
Always use VOLTAREN EMULGEL 12 HOUR Gel exactly as described in this leaflet or as your doctor or pharmacist or nurse has told you.
You should check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
For adults and adolescents 14 years and over.
- Apply the gel 2 times a day (preferably morning and evening) on the painful area
- For the flip-top cap: Use a finger, thumb, side of your hand or even edge of a table against the underside of the cap lid to open the flip-top cap easily. Tamper evident tabs located on each side of the flip-top cap will break when the cap is opened for the first time. Before first use check if the tamper evident tabs are not broken. For the screw cap: To remove the seal before first use, unscrew and remove the cap. Use the reverse side of the cap to insert, twist and remove the seal from the tube. Screw-cap: To remove the seal before first use, unscrew and remove the cap. Use the reverse side of the cap to insert, twist and remove the seal from the tube.
- Gently squeeze out a small amount of gel from the tube and apply to the painful or swollen area, slowly rubbing into the skin. The amount needed will vary depending upon the size of the painful or swollen area; an amount ranging in size from 2 – 4 g will usually be sufficient. You may notice a slight cooling effect when you rub the gel in. Only use the smallest amount of VOLTAREN EMULGEL 12 HOUR needed to relieve your pain but never use more than 8g per day and 56g in one week.
- Unless the hands are the site being treated, wash your hands after rubbing in the gel, to avoid accidental contact with the mouth and eyes.
Take special care with VOLTAREN EMULGEL 12 HOUR Gel
- Do not apply the gel to skin that has (i) a rash or eczema (ii) cuts or open wounds. Stop the treatment if a skin rash develops after applying the product. Avoid applying on large areas of skin and over a prolonged period of time, unless under medical advice.
- VOLTAREN EMULGEL 12 HOUR is for external use only. Do not use it in the mouth. Do not swallow it. Wash your hands after use unless they are the area to be treated. Be careful not to get VOLTAREN EMULGEL 12 HOUR in your eyes. If this happens, rinse your eyes well with clean water. See your doctor or pharmacist if any discomfort persists.
- Keep out of the sight and reach of children.
- Patients should be instructed to be cautious when smoking or near naked flames due to risk of severe burns. VOLTAREN EMULGEL 12 HOUR contains paraffin which is potentially flammable when it builds up on fabric (clothing, bedding, dressings etc.). Washing clothing and bedding may reduce product build up but not totally remove it.
- A brace or wrap commonly used for injuries like sprains can be used, but do not use the gel under airtight (plastic) bandages
- If you have a stomach or duodenal ulcer (or a history of), tell your doctor or pharmacist before using the gel.
- If you have or have ever had asthma speak to your doctor or pharmacist before using the gel.
If any of the following happens, stop taking / using VOLTAREN EMULGEL 12 HOUR and tell your doctor immediately or go to the casualty department at your nearest hospital.
- Skin rash with blisters; hives. (These side effects are frequent).
- Wheezing, shortness of breath or feeling of tightness in the chest (asthma). (These side effects are less frequent.
- Swelling of the face, lips, tongue or throat. (These side effects are likely to affect less than 1 person in every 10,000).
These are all very serious side effects. If you have them, you may have had a serious reaction to VOLTAREN EMULGEL 12 HOUR. You may need urgent medical attention or hospitalization.
Tell your doctor if you notice any of the following:
Frequent side effects
likely to affect between 1 and 10 in every 100 patients)
- Skin rash, itching, reddening or smarting of the skin
Less frequent side effects
(likely to affect less than 1 in every 10,000 patients)
- The skin may be more sensitive to the sun. Possible signs are sunburn with itching, swelling and blistering.